The Board of Foreign Service Examinations, pursuant to the provisions of the Foreign Service Act (R.A. 7157) of 1991 and the Revised Administrative Code of 1987, announces the holding of the 2018 FOREIGN SERVICE OFFICER (FSO) EXAMINATIONS to recruit candidates for appointment to the position of Foreign Service Officer, Class IV.
Applicants for the examination must be knowledgeable on the economic, political and social conditions of the Philippines, and must possess not only facility in oral and written communications but the personality traits essential to the performance of the duties of Foreign Service Officers. They must also be willing and able to accept assignments to any post where their services may be required.
Applicants are advised to check the eligibility requirements to ensure that they meet each of them. No exemptions from the requirements shall be considered. Applicants who are found ineligible, or who have submitted incomplete application forms and requirements, shall not be allowed to take the examination, and their admission fees shall be forfeited.
DUTIES OF A FOREIGN SERVICE OFFICER
The duties of a Foreign Service Officer include: gathering information, analyzing and reporting political, economic, technological, cultural and other events and developments; drafting diplomatic notes and other forms of diplomatic correspondence; preparing briefing papers and other foreign policy papers for the Department and other offices of government as may be required; assisting in the preparation and conduct of international conferences; managing and supervising staff; disseminating information; working with other government agencies and private groups and individuals in promoting Philippine interests abroad; undertaking negotiations; assisting Filipinos abroad and protecting their rights; promoting Philippine culture and trade; bringing in foreign investments and promoting tourism to the Philippines; performing consular functions; and representing the Philippines in various international fora.
The FSO Examination is composed of five (5) parts:
(1) Qualifying Test;
(2) Preliminary Interview;
(3) Written Test;
(4) Psychological Test; and
(5) Oral Test.
I. Qualifying Test – 28 January 2018
The Qualifying Test covers (1) Verbal Ability; (2) Analytical Ability; (3) Numerical Ability; and (4) Managerial Ability.
The testing centers are in Bacolod City, Baguio City, Cagayan de Oro City, Cebu City, Davao City, Iloilo City, General Santos City, Legazpi City, Lucena City, Metro Manila, San Fernando City (La Union), City of San Fernando (Pampanga), Tacloban City, Tuguegarao City, and Zamboanga City. The BFSE reserves the right to modify the list of testing centers depending on the number of applicants at any testing center. Candidates must obtain a passing grade of at least 80% in the Qualifying Test in order to qualify for the Preliminary Interview.
II. Preliminary Interview – To be announced
The Preliminary Interview shall be held after the results of the Qualifying Test have been determined. Candidates shall be interviewed by a panel of Foreign Service Officers to evaluate their overall potential for becoming Foreign Service Officers and future Ambassadors. The Preliminary Interview shall be held in Metro Manila. Candidates must obtain an overall rating of “PASS” from the panel in order to qualify for the Written Test.
III. Written Test – To be announced
The Written Test covers the following six subjects with the corresponding weights:
The testing center for the Written Test is the Department of Foreign Affairs, Pasay City. Candidates must obtain a passing grade of at least 75% in the Written Test in order to qualify for the Psychological Test.
IV. Psychological Test – To be Announced
The Psychological Test shall be held in Metro Manila after the results of the Written Test have been determined. Candidates must pass the Psychological Test to qualify to take the Oral Test.
V. Oral Test – To be Announced
The Oral Test shall be held in Metro Manila after the results of the Psychological Test have been determined. The Oral Test shall include an assessment of the candidate’s oral skills, logical thinking, values and attitude. Previous records, experiences and conduct of examinees shall also be considered in determining the candidate’s fitness and aptitude for foreign service work. Candidates who obtain a transmuted score of at least 80% shall be deemed to have passed the Oral Test. A candidate must garner a composite rating of 80% or higher in the Written Test and Oral
Test in order to pass the FSO examination.
Applicants are required to pass the five (5) sequential parts of the FSO Examination within the prescribed time frame in order to be considered eligible for appointment to the position of Foreign Service Officer, Class IV. Any applicant who passes the Qualifying Test will not be allowed to defer any of the succeeding portions of the FSO Examination. Moreover, an applicant who fails to show up for or does not take the succeeding phase of the FSO Examination as scheduled shall be deemed to have failed the entire examination.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
Applicants shall meet the following requirements:
1. Citizenship – Applicants should be Filipino citizens and concurrently permanent residents of the Philippines. Pursuant to Republic Act No. 9225 and its Implementing Rules and Regulations, those who pass the FSO Examinations with more than one citizenship, shall subscribe and swear to an oath of allegiance to the Republic of the Philippines and its duly constituted authorities, and renounce their oath of allegiance to any other country, prior to assumption of office.
2. Education – Applicants should have graduated from a four (4) year bachelor’s degree course or higher on or before the prescribed due date of submission of requirements, and shall present the transcript of records, and either the diploma, certificate of graduation or its equivalent, from a college or university of recognized standing.
3. Work Experience or Further Studies – Applicants should have undergone at least two (2) years employment or further studies or a combination of both after graduating from college or university.
HOW TO APPLY
1. Application forms (to be printed in 8 ½ in. x 13 in. or long bond paper) may be obtained by the following means:
a. Downloaded from the DFA website (www.dfa.gov.ph);
b. Personally secured from the Main Office or Regional Consular Offices (RCO) of the DFA, or from Philippine Embassies/Consulates abroad;
2. Civil Service Form No. 100 which can be downloaded from the CSC website or at this link.
3. Application forms shall be duly accomplished by the applicants and submitted in person from 16 October until 01 December 2017 at any Regional Consular Office or at Philippine Embassies or Consulates abroad, and not later than 08 December 2017 until 5:00 p.m. only at the Board of Foreign Service Examinations (BFSE) Secretariat, Second Floor, DFA Main Building, 2330 Roxas Blvd., Pasay City. Applications shall no longer be accepted beyond the set deadlines.
4. The following shall be attached to the completed application forms:
a. Photocopy of transcript of records from the college or university from which the degree was obtained, bearing the seal of the college or university. Applicants who attended post- graduate schools shall submit a copy of their transcript of records certified as true copy by said school, in addition to their college or university records. Transcript of records obtained from a foreign school shall be certified as true copy by the foreign school, with English translation, and duly authenticated by a Philippine Foreign Service Post exercising jurisdiction over the country of the foreign school;
b. Photocopy of diploma or certificate of graduation from the college or university from which the degree was obtained, bearing the seal of the college or university. Applicants who attended post-graduate schools shall submit a copy of their diploma or certificate of graduation certified as true copy by said school, in addition to their college diploma. Diplomas or certificates of graduation obtained from a foreign school shall be certified as true copy by the foreign school, with English translation, and duly authenticated by a Philippine Foreign Service Post exercising jurisdiction over the country of the foreign school;
c. Proof of past and present employment/ further studies;
d. Photocopy of birth certificate issued by the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA)
For those born abroad: Report of Birth at Post may be submitted in case no birth record is available at Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA). The Report of Birth shall be duly authenticated by the issuing Post. A certification of non- availability of said birth certificate from the PSA shall be submitted along with the Report of Birth.
For a Filipino citizen who has dual or multiple citizenships: a notarized affidavit stating that upon passing the examination, he/she intends to renounce his/her oath of allegiance to his/her other countries of citizenship; he/she must also submit a notarized affidavit stating that he/she is a permanent resident of the Philippines.
e. For married applicants: a photocopy of marriage contract from the PSA. If married to a foreigner, he/she must secure from the Secretary of Foreign Affairs, through the Board of Foreign Service Examinations, authority to take the FSO Examinations.
f. Ten (10) pieces of photographs: 4.5cm. x 3.5cm.; colored, with white background; taken within three (3) months prior to filing of application; printed on good quality photo paper; in standard close-up shot; in bare face; showing the full frontal view of the face of the applicant; with the applicant’s full and handwritten (not computer generated) name tag in the format: First Name, Middle Initial, Last Name, and extension name (if any) and signature over printed name; and,
g. Copies of two (2) valid identification cards (IDs), with the originals to be presented upon submission.
Applications with incomplete documentary requirements shall not be accepted. A non- refundable admission fee of five hundred pesos (P500.00) shall be collected from those who shall take the 2018 FSO Qualifying Test only upon inspection and acceptance of their application.
LIST OF DFA OFFICES
- DFA Main Office: Board of Foreign Service Examinations, 2nd Floor, Department of Foreign Affairs, 2330 Roxas Boulevard, Pasay City Tel. (02) 834-3080/ 3083 Email: [email protected]
- DFA NCR-East Office: 7/F, Building C, SM Megamall, Mandaluyong City Tel (02) 570-3230 Fax (02) 570-3231 | Email: [email protected]
- DFA NCR-Central Office: Level 1, Lingkod Pinoy Center, Robinsons Galleria, Quezon City Tel (02) 631-0806 | Fax (02) 631-0700 Email: [email protected]
- DFA NCR-W est: 5/F, SM City Manila, Natividad Almeda-Lopez St. (formerly Concepcion St), Manila Tel (02) 536-9994 Fax (02) 536-9995 Email: [email protected]
- DFA NCR-South: 4/F, Metro Alabang Town Center, Alabang -Zapote Road, Muntinlupa City Tel (02) 551-1051 Fax (02) 550-2697 Email: [email protected]
- DFA NCR-Northeast: Ali Mall Government Center, 2/F Ali Mall Cubao, Quezon City Tel (02) 293-0105 | Email: [email protected]
- DFA NCR-North: Level 3, 1 Lingkod PinoyCenter, Robinson’s Place, QuirinoHighway, Novaliches, Quezon City | Tel (02) (02)3727902 Email: [email protected]
- DFA RCO Angeles: 3/F, MarQuee Mall, Pulung Maragul, Angeles City Tel. (045) 304-0193 Email:[email protected]
- DFA RCO Bacolod: 3/F, Robinsons Place Bacolod, Brgy. Mandalangan, Bacolod City Tel. (034) 434-4412675 Fax (034) 435-6358 Email: [email protected]; [email protected]
- DFA RCO Baguio: Upper Basement, SM City Baguio, Luneta Hill, Baguio City Tel (074) 422-2258, (074) 422 -1465 | Fax (074) 442-2255 Email: [email protected]; [email protected]
- DFA RCO Butuan: 3/F Robinsons Place Butuan, JC Aquino Avenue, Butuan City Tel. (085) 342-7822 Fax (085) 342-5700 Email: [email protected]; [email protected]
- DFA RCO Cagayan de Oro: 3/F Centrio Mall,cor. Corrales and Recto Sts., Brgy. 24, Cagayan de Oro City Tel. (088) 858-6565, (088) 857-2175 Fax (088) 857-2175 Email: [email protected]; [email protected]
- DFA RCO Calasiao : 2/F Robinsons Place-Pangasinan, Brgy. San Miguel, Calasiao, Pangasinan 2418 Tel. (075) 632-7705, 632-7932 Fax (075) 632-7892 Email: [email protected]
- DFA RCO Cebu: 4th Level, Pacific Mall-Metro Mandaue, UN Ave. cor. MC Briones St., Brgy. Estancia, Mandaue City | Tel. (032) 520-5898, 520-6193 Fax (032) 520-6550 Email: [email protected]; [email protected], [email protected]
- DFA RCO Cotabato: People’s Palace, City Hall, Cotabato City Tel. (064) 421-3495, 421-3878 Fax (064) 421-3495 Email: [email protected]
- DFA RCO Davao: 3/F, SM City Davao, Quimpo Blvd., Ecoland, Brgy. Malina, Davao City Tel. (082) 285-4885, 285-1900 Fax (082) 285-1727, 2851552, Email: [email protected]; [email protected]
- DFA RCO Dumaguete: 2/F Robinsons Place South Road, Calidangan, Dumaguete City 6200 Tel. (035) 532-0024; (035) 532-0019 Fax Email: [email protected]
- DFA RCO General Santos: GF Robinsons Place GenSan, J. Catolico St., Ave., Lagao, General Santos City Tel. (083) 553-8380, 826-9089 Fax (083) 554-2742 Email: [email protected]; [email protected]
- DFA RCO Iloilo: 3/F Robinsons Place Iloilo Quezon Wing, Iloilo City Tel. (033) 337-8017, (02) 335-0221 | Fax (033) 335-0221 Email: Ilo[email protected]
- DFA RCO La Union: Pasado Building, Pagdalagan Norte, San Fernando, La Union Tel (072) 607-6487, 607-6510 Fax (072) 607-6491 Email: [email protected]; [email protected]
- DFA RCO Legazpi: 3/F Pacific Mall-Legazpi, F. Imperial St., cor. Circumferential Rd., Brgy. Capantawan, Landco Business Park, Legazpi City Tel. (052) 480-3000, 820-3396 Fax (052) 480-1773 Email: [email protected]; [email protected]
- DFA RCO Lipa: 2/F Robinson Place, JP Laurel Highway, Mataas na Lupa, Lipa City Tel. (043) 722-0578 Fax (043) 722-0590 Email : [email protected]; [email protected]
- DFA RCO Lucena: 3/F, Pacific Mall Lucena, M.L. Tagarao St., Barangay III, Lucena City Tel. (042) 710-4526, 373-1119 Fax (042) 373-1898 Email [email protected]; [email protected]
- DFA RCO Pampanga: 2/F, Robinsons StarMills, City of San Fernando, Pampanga Tels. (045) 636-0007, 636-0009 | Fax No. (045) 636-0010 Email: [email protected]; [email protected]
- DFA RCO Puerto Princesa: 2/F Robinsons Place Palawan, National Highway, Barangay San Manuel, Puerto Princesa City Tel. (048) 434-1773 Email: [email protected]; [email protected]
- DFA RCO Tacloban: Leyte SMED Center, Capitol Site, Sn. Enage, Tacloban City Tel. (053) 321-8233, (053) 523-0080 Fax (053) 321-8237 Email : [email protected]; [email protected]
- DFA RCO Tuguegarao: Regional Government Center, Carig Sur, Tuguegarao City, Cagayan Valley Tel (078) 846-4813, 846-1482 Fax (078) 846-2310 Email: [email protected]
- DFA RCO Zamboanga: Go-Velayo Building, Veterans Avenue, Zamboanga City Tel. (062) 991-4398, (062) 991-2202 Fax (062) 991-7958 Email: [email protected]; [email protected]