Filipinos are known to be excellent non-native English speaking citizens. Since childhood, we have been taught about the importance of learning how to converse and write using the English language. Most of the Asian and other non-English speaking countries rely on Filipinos to learn the language. Many took this opportunity and became part-time, full-time, and professional English tutors and teachers.
What is the JET Program?
One of the countries that trust Filipinos about learning English is Japan. Through the Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) Program, people of Japan and those from the foreign countries developed deeper mutual understanding through a foreign language exchange and cultural immersion. One of the popular participants is Filipinos. JET Programme is one of the most extensive exchange programs in the world.
A total of 154 Filipino JET participants have already been sent by the Embassy of Japan in the Philippines as Assistant Language Teachers (ALT). Recent records from 2019 alone show fifty-two (52) ALTs and one CIR (Coordinator for International Relations) were from the Philippines.
JET recently announced the need for Filipino ALTs for the 2021 JET Programme. The primary task of ALTs is to assist in classes led by Japanese English Teachers in public or private schools in their assigned municipalities.
What are the eligibility requirements?
The 2021 JET Programme needs ALT applicants that possess the following qualities:
- Filipino citizen;
- Willing to adapt to living and working in Japan within the period of participation and willing to obey all Japanese laws;
- Not a previous JET participant from 2017 and later;
- Have no experience in living in Japan for six or more years from 2010 or later;
- Excellent in English orally and in writing;
- With teaching experience;
- Interested in working with children;
- Physically and mentally fit to work abroad; and
- With a Bachelor’s degree or higher.
How to apply for 2021 JET Program?
- Download the following documents:
- Read the guidelines carefully to know more about the JET Programme and the ALT job description.
- Accomplish all the forms completely.
- Send the forms along with necessary supporting documents through your chosen courier service (LBC, Grab Express, Lalamove,etc.) to this address:
- Japan Information and Culture Center
- Embassy of Japan in the Philippines
- 2627 Roxas Boulevard, Pasay City 1300
Deadline of Application
The Embassy of Japan in the Philippines accepts ALT application for the 2021 JET Programme until the 8th of January 2021. All applications received beyond the deadline will not be considered. Moreover, walk-in applicants and email applications will not be entertained.
To know more about the JET Programme, you may visit their website at http://jetprogramme.org/en/.