Rain-induced landslides (Pagguho ng lupa sanhi ng pag-ulan) are caused by heavy rain due to storms and southwest monsoon (habagat) is the sliding down of soil, rocks or mud from an elevated place like a mountain or cliff resulting in houses or structures, properties and even people being buried.
What To Do Before A Rain-Induced Landslide
- Study the condition in your area and watch out for signs of possible landslide like cracking of soil or sudden gush of water from the soil.
- Monitor landslide through weather reports and landslide hazards maps or log on to Project NOAH.
- Know where the safest way to the nearest evacuation center.
- Evacuate immediately in cases of non-stop rainfall and when there are signs of landslide.
- Prepare your survival kit with provisions like food, drinking water, flashlight, transistor radio, etc.
What To Do During A Rain-Induced Landslide
- If you are hiding inside the house or building and evacuation is no longer possible, stay inside and get under a table.
- If you are outside, avoid areas that may be affected by landslide and if possible go to an elevated and safe place.
- If landslide can no longer be avoided, lie down in a fetal position and protect your head.
- If you are driving, don’t cross bridges and roads that are about to collapse and avoid falling rocks and soil.
What To Do After A Rain-Induced Landslide
- Avoid going to places affected by landslide as the hazard might recur.
- Watch out for possible flash floods if the landslide blocked the water flow.
- Check for missing persons and report it to authorities so that rescue operations can start immediately.
- Monitor the latest advisories and warnings from the radio and TV or log to Project NOAH. Report damaged power and water lines, telephone installations and other utility facilities.
- Check for damaged foundation and other parts of the house or building. Immediately have repairs done once there is no longer landslide threat.
- Ashfall | What to Do Before, During and After
- Flooding | What to Do Before, During and After
- What to Do During Storm Surge
- Weather Terminologies | Frequently Asked Questions
- Survival Kit (Downloadable Picture)