This is good news for all the middle-income workers! President Rodrigo Duterte has approved the P50.8 billion wage subsidy that would cover 3.4-million middle-income workers.
Details of the Wage Subsidy for Middle-Income Workers
These are the major details mentioned in a report written by Philippine Information Agency:
- The program is called the Small Business Wage Subsidy Program.
- It will provide subsidy between P5,000 to P8,000 depending on the prevailing regional minimum wage.
- Those who will benefit are workers from an estimated 1.6 million micro and small businesses applying skeleton workforce or affected by the forced work stoppage.
- The first tranche will be implemented on May 1 to 15, while the second tranche is set for May 16 to May 30.
- Priority will be given to small businesses registered with the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) and those enrolled with the Social Security System (SSS) as both agencies have their respective databases.
- Disbursement of cash aid for the middle-income wage earners will be “high tech” making full use of the Unified Multi-Purpose ID or UMID cards.
- Workers must meet certain requirements to be included in the two-month payout. These include being employed as of March 1, 2020; have not received any salary from the employer; have not been on leave; and have not availed of the SSS unemployment benefit.
- Ongoing Distribution of Emergency Subsidy Nationwide
- Social Amelioration Program FAQs | Mga Sagot Mula sa DSWD
- [PDF] Social Amelioration Program | Special Guidelines