These are some of the things you need to know and to do before, during and after an earthquake. The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (PHIVOLCS-DOST) release this posters in their Facebook Page.
If you’re not yet aware of, for the past two days, there has been series of strong earthquakes happening in Luzon and Visayas.
Date and Time: 22 Apr 2019 – 05:11 PM
Magnitude = 6.1
Depth = 012 kilometers
Location = 14.99N, 120.35E – 018 km N 67° E of Castillejos (Zambales)
Date and Time: 23 Apr 2019 – 01:37 PM
Magnitude = 6.2
Depth = 017 kilometers
Location = 11.78N, 125.28E – 019 km N 81° W of San Julian (Eastern Samar)
What to do BEFORE an earthquake?
- Know the hazards. Familiarize yourself with earthquake hazards in your area.
- Know the EVACUATION AREA. Check the nearest route going to identified evacuation area.
- Prepare your house or workplace.
- Prepare an EMERGENCY SUPPLY KIT. Make it accessible at all times.
- Learn to use the first aid kit, fire extinguishers, alarms, switching off waterlines, gas tanks, and circuit breaker.
- Participate during DRILLS. Regularly practice the evacuation procedure.
What to do DURING an earthquake?
- This must be your response during the shaking: Drop, Cover, and Hold On. You can stay in the safer part of the room.
- STAY CALM and ALERT. Watch out for falling objects, glass windows, shelves, cabinets, and other heavy objects that may cause injury.
- IF OUTSIDE, you need to move to an open area.
- IF near SHORE, you need to move quickly to higher grounds.
- Move away from steep slopes.
- Stop if inside a MOVING VEHICLE. Do not cross bridges, overpass or flyovers.
What to do AFTER an earthquake?
- EVACUATE. As soon as the shaking stops, take the fastest and safest way out.
- Expect AFTERSHOCKS.
- Be UPDATES. Monitor the situation from the radio.
- Put out small fires using extinguisher.
- Check yourself and others for injuries.
Earthquake Updates in the Philippines
If you want to be updated with the latest earthquake updates in the Philippines #LindolPH, you can like and follow the official Facebook Account of PHILVOCS at https://www.facebook.com/PHIVOLCS/